From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 11:35:38 -0700
You have a high end gamer setup with two high end video cards, and
you write that you are over clocking. All of that means HEAT, in a
big way.  When winter comes you won't need to turn the heat on in
your room,  the system should heat up your room quite well, and I am
not trying to be humorous.. it really will.

In order to control the heat in your PC without it sounding like a
airport runway, you will have to either swap out your fans to after
market quiet fans, or go with a liquid cooled solution.  I have
experience with the former, but not the latter.

I had a similar problem with my dual Xeon 3.06 system three and a
half years ago. I solved it first by swapping out the CPU fans with
expensive, but quiet, heat sink/fans. Then I swapped out the case
fans with fans that were quieter then the seven stock fans that came
with it.  This involved user some bigger fans, that moved more air,
but at a slower RPMs =  less whinny noise.

There are lots of different fans available, just do a search on
Newegg and stick with name brand manufacturers that specialize in
thermal cooling. There are also lots of website that discuss this
problem. It is a very common complaint on high end PCs, particularly
for gamers and over clockers.

The liquid cooled solution has always been intriguing to me but I
have never tried it. Liquid cooled, done correctly, is one way to run
even the hottest PC very quiet. There are many different kits
available for this, again check Newegg, and online discussions for
recommendations. You might also want to look at Maximum PCs September
2007 issue page 30. They built their annual <Dream Machine> using
liquid cooling in which they used parts from two manufacturers, and
generic parts, to put together what they consider the ultimate in
liquid cooled quiet, and efficiency.

Just swapping out the two stock CPU fans made a huge difference for
my Xeon system.... but not enough for me. I ultimately ended up
building a computer closet/room off my office, and  moving the PCs
into that vented room and then running all the cables in a 3 inch
tunnel to my office. Now I have a  power vented computer closet where
I keep my PCs, and printers and a lot of other PC stuff.

The only heat in my office comes from the three large monitors, and
there is no PC noise... at all!
Good luck!

Rode
The NOSPIN Group