From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:25:53 -0500
I'm not familiar with the display settings menu for your video card, but it
sounds like you somehow have it set up so you have a screen resolution of
640x480 and a virtual desktop of a larger size.  As a result, you have to
scroll to see your whole (virtual) desktop.  Do you have the manual for this
computer?  If you do, you might want to look at some of the advanced video
features to see how the menus controlling this work.

When I tried to find some information on this computer on the IBM website,
they made mention of drivers for a Matrox G400 video card.  It may be that
this is the video card that you have in the computer.  If so, this is a good
card for your system and there is no need to replace it.  This sounds more
like an issue of getting the settings configured better.

You can confirm what video card you have installed by right clicking on My
Computer, choosing properties, and looking in device manager under display
adapter.  It should list your current video card, there.  You might want to
see if it properly recognized your monitor while you are at it.  If it
doesn't list the Compaq by name, it probably should be fine if it at least
recognizes it as a Plug and Play monitor.

Of hand, I don't know of a good book to recommend for familiarizing yourself
more with computers.  If you could get your hands on the manual for this
computer, it would be a good place to start, since it would help you to
explore what this particular model's capabilities are.

John Sproule