From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 07:27:43 -0600
At 11:25 AM 2/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
>On 17 Feb 99, at 12:35, Dreamer's Den wrote:
>
>> I was given an old 286 with a 40 mb Hard Drive. I would like to
>> This error message pops up every time in the "WINDOWS" directory
>> only. Any ideas?
>
>  The warnings that you have seen will have been about *low-level*
>formatting of *IDE* drives.  This 40 MB beast is almost certainly MFM
>or RLL, and the low-level format code in the drive controller's ROM
>should work just fine.[*]

A couple of people have said that this drive is probably MFM or RLL.  This
is not at all certain.  My second IBM-PC was a 286 with a 40MB IDE hard
drive.  Since the error occurs only in one directory and when you are doing
a DIR, the error is likely to be in the location where the disk
subdirectory is stored instead of the Windows directory itself.  You should
try running CHKDSK and see where the error is found and attempt to fix it.
This will probably require reformatting the disk or removing the Windows
directory first.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html