Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:50:57 -0700
Wendy Brown wrote:

> Hi Joan,
>
> I, too, prefer a trackball and use one at both work and home.  Although I
> realize this is not the choice of most, I have found that just washing the
> trackball with soap and water works fine for me.  I use a q-tip on the inside
> and have had success with just swiping - no use of any cleanser, just the
> q-tip.  At first, I noticed a little jerkiness, but with a little use, it
> evened out and is working fine.  If soap is detrimental to a trackball mouse,
> would someone let me know??
>
> Regards,
> Wendy Brown

Just my two cents.  Alcohol is the almost perfect solvent for grease,
and that is what is building up inside a trackball, along with the tiny
bits of lint, dust, snack food stuff and whatever else is on your
thumb.  So cleaning with alcohol will get everything squeaky clean.
Using a gently liquid dish soap will produce the same results.  That is
why when you put it back together, it feels jerky.  Nothing is perfectly
smooth.  And it is soooo clean that the rough surface is catching.  Now
why does it start to move more freely after you have used it a while?
Because the oils in your body (read that as thumb) are starting to
lubricate the ball and rollers, again.  Initially, it is a fine layer of
grease, but eventually it will build up and start collecting the lint,
dust and snack food bits stuck to your thumb all over again.

If anyone is concerned about alcohol and rubber rollers and excessive
drying out, you can go to an automotive shop and buy a can of silicon
spray or go to a hobby shop and buy a small bottle of glycerine from the
chemical section.  Both have the ability to keep neoprene products
supple.  But most likely the 'rubber' wheels are more of a nylon
composite which is very resistant to alcohol.

Anyone know for sure about the wheels?

Final analysis.  Use of alcohol properly will not probably damage the
wheels.  Bet the cord or connector gives out before the wheels do.  As
fo the Trackman Marble, getting a soap film on the window could hinder
operation.  Recommend alcohol (isopropyl).

--
Jean Bourvic :>))

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html