From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 13:11:59 -0400
Looks like your friend is caught in between. The system manufacturer made a deal with the parts suppliers to warranty the system for one year, apparently in place of a manufacturer's warranty that would come with most hard drives.  WD, Maxtor, IBM, and other major drive suppliers give a 3 year warranty.  You should try to reformat and start over.  If that doesn't fix the problem, your should think about telling your friend to be prepared to drop $50-$60 on a name brand 20 gig hard drive.  Getting the old one looked at and/or fixed will cost much more than getting a new drive with a 3-year warranty.  I believe that you can get 20 gig, 5400  rpm drives from major makers at about $50 online.