From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 19:07:22 -0700
You can use a 56K hardware based modem with a 486 just make sure it is NOT
a Winmodem. All the Winmodems I have seen require a P66 or above. A
Winmodem uses software and your computers CPU to operate and must be used
while running Win9x or above. A hardware modem has it's own processor and
can run with any operating system.

USR  or 3Com USR is a well respected very high quality modem. I would
recommend an external modem because it will have it's own power supply.and
will not need a ISA slot which may or may not make a difference to you.
However if you have an adequate power supply ...200 watts plus... then an
USR, ZOOM or SUPRA 56K hardware internal modem should do the trick.

You should be able to find a used 56K  USR External modem at EBAY for under
50 dollars.

Mark Rode
The NoSpin Group