From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:02:01 -0700
Lisa Salkovitz Kohn wrote:

>I got the dreaded clicks after while trying to backup an 8 meg file to a Zip
> cartridge.  I ran a diagnostic (tip.exe) and it announced that either the
> cartridge or the drive was kaput.

In addition to the post by Bob Wright directing you to "Joe's"
page,(which in my opinion is one of the better places to obtain
information) you may also go to ZDNet for further information at the
following,
http://search.zdnet.com:80/cgi-bin/texis/zdhelp/zdhelp/single.html?Ueid=909263

or,

http://search.zdnet.com:80/cgi-bin/texis/zdhelp/zdhelp/single.html?Ueid=914031

If I'm not mistaken, Joe was interviewed on ZDTV explaining the
situation with the "Click" issue.

>I understand that the Click of Death problem has to do with the drive's
> "heads" getting terminally misaligned, so my question is -- do I have a
> permanent problem or not?

From my understanding of the issue, when the drive cog engages the disk
slot, similar to a floppy, the disk goes out of alignment in some cases
and the heads dig a furrow in the disk rendering it and sometimes the
drive useless.

>  Is the drive now going to miswrite at this
> 22-minute point on all my cartridges, so that I should be trying to get a
> replacement from Iomega (I think that I am 3 months beyond warranty, of
> course)?

Yes there is the possibility this may happen. As tip zone stated, if you
put the defective disk into another machine the domino effect will be in
play.

My suggestion is, do not use or attempt to use existing disks in your
drive. This may ruin them and other drives if you attempt to use
defective disks in another drive. Please following the links received
from the list. Iomega may or may not help you to resolve the issue.

There is nothing worse than having valuable information go up in smoke
due to a hardware failure. Ask me <smile> I've been there many
times........A learning process to say the least.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com