Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:52:52 +1200
Further to David's excellent advice about the supposed PC mag 'hint', the
KLEZ (and for all I know, most of the others) virus enters your address book
and selects an address at random, and then sends to all the other entries,
using that address as the sender.  Hence the confusion engendered by this
tricky bug.
Ian Porter
Computer Guys
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "David Gillett" Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Klez virus/emails I didn't send

> > This was in the last issue of "P C World" magazine. It does work!
>
>   This is a widespread hoax that has been circulating for at least a
> year.  The specific variant that claims it was "in the last issue"[*]
> seems to have first appeared 2-4 months ago.
>   If you go searching for this text on Google, you'll find two
> interesting things -- the text has been forwarded, rarely edited,
> form an anonymous source, and many of the copies posted to the web
> and indexed by Google have since been taken down once their hosts
> learned of the hoax.
>
> David Gillett
>

> [*] One of the ways that email hoaxes get perpetuated and passed
> along is by using non-specific wording that makes them always sound
> current -- "last week", "just yesterday", "in the last issue" --
> rather than an actual DATE, which would make it obvious that the
> content is getting old.  Indeed, this kind of wording (which
> coincidentally makes it difficult to confirm whether the message is
> true or not) is a virtually sure sign that the message is a hoax.
>   A proper citation of PC World magazine as a source would specify
> the date or volume/number of the issue in question.  Without those,
> it is effectively impossible to verify the claim that PC World
> published, or in any way vouches for, this "trick".

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com