From:
"Clyde W. Burns" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 16:07:52 -0500
I recently checked my mail and got a virus warning from Norton virus protection, I did what was suggested, quarintine,etc. and then the mail server timed out and when it checked for mail again, same thing again, finally after about ten of these cycles I called SWBell to see if I could get the offending message taken off the server. They told me no I would have to go to my computer manufacturer(Dell). I then ran the system virus scan and it showed no virus. I called Dell and they suggested for me to call Norton as the only solution for them would be to strip down the system, even though I told them there was no virus shown. I called Norton, gave them my credit card number and we started by checking the registry which he said was not corrupted and then running another virus scan which showed nothing, he then had me download a virus-removing tool which I ran (the virus was badtrans) and it showed there was no virus to remove.
   I then tried my mail again with the same results as before. At that point I said to heck with it,disabled the email-protection and downloaded the messages, deleted the offending one and everything worked fine. I also ran the virus scan again with no virus being shown. Can someone tell me what happened and what to do if it happens again. I suspect I got some bad advice which cost me with no results. I probably did not word this too well as I am not very tech-minded. Thanks!

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>