From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:09:17 -0500
> The motherboard isn't all you're going to have to replace; few video cards
> will work at faster than 75 MHz bus speeds, and there's no telling what
100
> MHz bus will require in the way of memory, etc. Such an upgrade could get
> awfully expensive awfully fast.

        You are misinformed. The problem you speak of is due to the fact that
motherboards up to know had a synchronous PCI speed to CPU bus speed. A
66MHZ bus meant a 33MHZ PCI, a 75MHZ bus meant a 37.5MHZ PCI. With the newer
motherboards coming out the PCI speed will be asynchronous, or pseudo
asynchronous (almost as good). I predict most motherboards supporting the
front bus (100MHZ) will divide the bus speed by three for PCI, and when set
to a bus speed of 66MHZ will divide it by 2, hence the pseudo definition. As
for few video cards, almost all good video cards out there handle a faster
than 37.5MHZ PCI bus (75MHZ local), of course if one ventures far off the
best of brand name this no longer holds. About the only thing to worry about
with the 100MHZ bus speed is ram, you really have to buy SD-RAM that can
handle it, usually one would go for SD-RAM following the 100MHZ standard
that has been developed. As for EDO, it is practically dead with the new
design. If you want more info on the subject I suggest you check out the
following excellent hardware sites:

http://www.tomshardware.com
http://www.anandtech.com

TTYL