From:
"Jerry J. Fear" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:46:46 -0600
Dear Lonnie,
Thanks for the response. I apologize for not stating my problem clearly
more clearly.

I wrote:

>> My problem is that I have no idea what FAT32X is, how I got it, how do I
>> get rid of it, can't seem to find anything in FAQ's about it.
>>
>>                                 Jerry Fear
You answered:

>Jerry,
>
>    If you did not know Win95/OSR2 allows you to have a partition beyond
>the
>2 Gig limit of DOS (Up to 8 Gig as 1 partition).  Also OSR2 formats in
>FAT 32
>(it default) unless you specify otherwise.
>

>Lonnie Lentsch

I was aware of this and using fdisk and format from a floppy created one
large partition of 7.1 gig intended to be FAT32, which I would later change
to four smaller partitions using Partition Magic by Powerquest, which
allows changing partition sizes without losing data.  Unfortunately, what I
did somehow was to create something called a FAT32X format partition.  It
is the 'X', that is the problem.

An email query to Powerquest tech support got a response that Partition
Magic did not yet support the FAT32X format.

A search of the Internet only produced one hit, a news group posting about
a 3.2 gig drive: "Re:FAT16X and FAT32X, What is it, and How do I rid myself
of it."  The only response he got was from was from somebody who had the
same problem with a Compaq with an 8 gig drive.  This person had gotten the
same answer from Powerquest as I did.  Compaq claimed no knowledge.

A search of all online computer magazines and all tech support web sites
that I have bookmarked, have produced not one reference to a FAT32X.  There
is no mention in any of my texts either.

You are right, of course, that the only solution is to erase and
re-partition the drive.  But, since I don't know what went wrong the first
time, I don't know how to keep from getting the same results.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone with experience with this X stuff, or even
from anyone who has even heard of FAT32X.