From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:00:05 -0800
Lew,

What this is trying to say is that the BIOS is having a problem
assigning resource (memory, IO, etc) space to one or more devices.

In PCI (or PCIe) based PC's, the Plug n Play feature means that devices
are not hard coded as far as where they sit in the processor's address
space. The PCI spec outlines a procedure whereby each device is probed
(I won't go into the details here) for how many spaces it needs and how
big. PCI allows a device to have up to 8 different functions (like a
combined disk controller/USB/Network card for example), and each
function can have up to 6 separate memory regions. It would not be
anything to do with how many disk drives you have, since these interface
to the PC through a disk controller. The disk controller is what sits on
the PCI bus.

It sounds like the BIOS is having a problem making room for all the
memory spaces. It could be a bad add-in card, or the BIOS does not
support a card that is plugged in. Did this just start happening? Did
you add any new hardware just before it started? You may need to upgrade
your BIOS if you recently added a new card. Failing that, you may need
to try other troubleshooting methods. As you indicate, it seems to boot
normally. Windows may re-probe the PCI bus and not have the same problem
the BIOS does. Have you checked the device manager in Windows once
booted? If there is a continuing problem, device manager may show one or
more devices with a yellow exclamation point.

It is trying to tell you the problem is with slot 3. Unfortunately it
may not be straightforward to determine what slot 3 is. It is not
guaranteed that this corresponds to a physical slot 3 on the
motherboard. Even onboard devices have to be given a slot number. There
are third party PCI display tools that may help determine which device
is in slot 3, one is called PCITool.

For further trouble shooting, you could remove all PCI cards down to a
bare minimum (disk, video), and see if the message goes away, then add
them back, one at a time until the message comes back. Once you find the
card that causes the message, it gives you more info where to look.
Perhaps moving it to a different slot may take care of the problem.

One other possibility is your CMOS settings, do you have any strange
settings, like ISA compatibility for any PCI slots? As a last resort,
you could try resetting your CMOS settings back to factory defaults.

Russ Poffenberger

Diane wrote:
> Can anyone figure out why I am getting the following error when I bootup.
>
> The error is "Resource conflict. PCI in slot 03, Bus: 02, Device: 0B,
> Function: 00. Click F1 to continue or Del to Setup".
>
> I click F1 and it finishes booting up.
>
> I have my new drive installed as the Master and the old drive as the Slave.
>
> I get the same problem with my Slave drive disconnected.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Lew Russakov

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml