From:
Brian Coe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 20:43:20 -0700
Bill:

If you are online you are very probably going to be getting disk writes.
the other thing that can happen is the swap file is getting written to. any
time any program writes to the drive defrag has to start all over again
because the FAT has changed. what I do to prevent the SWAPFILE from being
accessed is make it basically permanent. you can do this by

1:      Right clicking on "My Computer"
2:      Click on Properties
3:      Click on the Performance tab all the way to the right
4:      Click on the Virtual memory tab on the bottom right
5:      Choose "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings"
6:      Set the Minimum and Maximum to the same size.

On my system I have the memory set to 128 mag min and 128 meg max. What
this does is make a swap file that should'nt need to be accessed and you
should quit getting the message about something writing to the disk. if you
are still getting that message Symantec used to have a utility on their web
site that would tell you what application is accesing the HDD. If they
still have it it would be in the Norton Utilities FILES section.

HTH

At 08:39 PM 9/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello All !
>Can anyone tell me why when I am defragging ,it keeps saying
>"drive contents changing re-starting"?
>this is causing the process to take forever !
> I have already disabled Norton anti-virus and pretty much everything else
>is turned off
> home built system...
>Win 98, P200, TX mobo, 64 mb ram, 6.4gb fujitsu hdd, cable modem, everything
>else pretty generic
>TIA
>W.R.(Bill) Boulton

[Brian Coe]
-----
The American Dream does not come to those who fall asleep.
-----
[www.detox.net]
[503-260-4705]
-----
(c) 1997, Schizofrenia! ( Signature generated w/SchizoSigz! v1.0 )
Get your copy at: http://www.surfline.ne.jp/alt-fx

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**