Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:53:13 +1000
From: "Bob Zeoli" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 1:00 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Video Card Upgrade Recommendations

> I want to upgrade my Video Card (currently a StealthIII S540 32mgs PCI) to
an AGP card and I want to make sure that it will be compatable with SMAC (a
turn based strategy game which runs under DirectX 6.1 ).  I dont play any
1st person shooters.  Any suggestions?  I hear that diamond's cards are
kinda mediocre.  I dont have any thing to do with video either so that isnt
a concern, ( as far as TV outputs & DVD ).  I'd like to keep it around $150-
200 if possible.  Ive tried to read the articles at Toms Hardware but the
only thing I think I understood was that some cards are better with direct X
than others?  My system is Asus P3V133 motherboard, 128mgs pc133 ram, PIII
667.

Diamond card never had a good driver and since S3 bought Diamond (then S3
sold graphics part to VIA), things are getting worse. If you ask me, I don't
really know where does Diamond want to go. to fit your budget, a TNT2 ultra
card, G400 or ATI card will do. For driver reason, I'd go for nVidia card as
there is always good reference driver on their web site. Avoid card based on
S3 (too many driver and hardware issues) or 3dfx (lack of performance and
lie to its buyer) chip.
my personal opinion: if you want high end card, go for nVidia and ATI (the
new Radeon); for mid range card - Matrox, 3dfx (if you want to run Glide
only games), ATI and nVidia.

Jun Qian

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions