From:
DavidFarrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:32:11 -1000
I need to go over 100 feet. Looking on the internet shows that RS422 can
go about 4000 feet. I would like a wireless solution but I am also
asking to read about what folks have done with RS232 data from point to
point.

Yes the software is set on both computers. Computer A just gives the
data stream. Computer B is reading the RS232 data and the software on
computer B can be set to check serial ports 1-16.

Thanks for the questions and the answer about the modem.

David

Peter Shkabara wrote:

>I am not sure what your question is. If all you want is to transmit the
>serial port information from one computer to another, then the question is
>"how far is it to go"? The limit for RS232 is about 100 feet or so. For
>longer runs you would need some other transmission medium and protocol.
>RS422 allows for several hundred feet (don't remember exactly how far). For
>very long distance transmission you could use a phone line with a modem.
>
>Is it safe to assume that you have the appropriate software on each computer
>to handle the data stream? In other words, does your software recognize a
>serial port (COM1 or COM2) interface?
>
>Peter

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com