Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:46:32 +0000
Greetings Joe and list--

>  Hi Joe,
>
> Thanx for the reply. ran scan as suggested and did not return any viruses. i
> use norton and mc afee. now it doesn't allow me to burn cd with new cd/r
> drive.  thanx again
>
> stephen r stanfield

---------------------
This does begin to sound like a motherboard problem,
but you do need to be certain about your data cables.
If they are 'known good', another tip I have seen with
respect to Windows XP and CD-RW drives is that if you
use software such as Roxio EasyCD Creator/Direct CD or
Ahead Nero Burning ROM, you should right click the icon
for the burner, go to the properties pages, and uncheck
use to write CDs (or whatever the wording is). This way
Windows and the preferred burning software won't "fight
over" the burning task. I have run into problems with
Windows XP doing a really bad job of handling data burning
tasks on an HP Pavilion, a Gateway E series, and a home-built
computer. It is my opinion that burning CDs is best done
with software dedicated to that purpose, rather than allowing
Windows to do so using the Roxio-licensed OS feature. In
all of the above examples, Windows would either write to the
RW one time, fail to recognize good disks, indicate a given
disk was bad or unusable, or only write some of the total amount
to be copied (taking an inordinately long time to do so). Using
software (Nero) installed thereafter, some disks previously
indicated as bad were entirely usable, and have been ever since.
This is with the same CD-RW hardware.

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert
and I'm hovering like a fly