From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 02:08:31 -0500
From: Wanda Irby: Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] COM2 disabled

> Yes, it does have such a mouse but I still need both serial ports as I
> have a good many things connected to my computer.  Use it for genealogy,
> photography and my sewing machine.  Micron told me it was possible to
> change the IRQ to enable both but not how to do it.  I have had a Micron
> since the P90 was the top one and loved it.  So when I got ready to get
> a new one, I bought Micron partly because their tech support was so
> great.  They helped me with everything then but no more!  And I just
> ordered Microns for my son's business too!
>
> Dave Gillett wrote:
> >
> > On 7 Oct 99, at 12:23, Wanda Irby wrote:
> >
> > > I have a new Microm Millinamum PIII 600 and a new Wacom pad and
> > > pencil. I need to use the second serial port but it was disabled to
> > > accomidate the internal modem.  Their tech support told me it could
> > > be enabled by changing the IRQ but I don't know how to do that.  I
> > > hope someone can tell me.
> >
> >   Both my partners have internal modems and pads (one is a Wacom, the
> > other is not).  Originally, we accomodated the Wacom pad by using a
> > PnP modem configured for COM3 and IRQ12, but since then we've gone to
> > the same solution on that machine as on the other -- use a PS/2 mouse
> > instead of a serial mouse, freeing up the other COM port.
> >
> >   [I would be very surprised to see a PIII system without a PS/2
> > mouse port, and one of the local electronics surplus places routinely
> > has IBM or Microsoft PS/2 mice for under $10.]
> >
> > David G

I have a Wacom Art PadZ which I have installed on Com 1 with my modem on Com
2.  I would suspect that if your Com2 is disabled that is because your Modem
is using that port.  Is your Com 1 port already in use? If it is not
couldn't you install the Art pad to com1?  If your com1 is already in use by
another peripheral then you could change the IRQ of com3 or 4 to install the
art pad.  You have not stated whether you have a free IRQ in your system.
If the art pad needs com 2 then you are going to have to change the com port
for your modem to have it to continue to work.  You will need to check which
irq's are already in use in your system first.  Go to Start, Setting,
Control Panel, System, Device Manager, then click on properties.  This will
give you a list of which IRQ's are being used and by what device.  Check to
see whether you have any free IRQ's.  If you do have a free irq then you can
possibly change the com ports irq in the CMOS or in the Device Manager.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>