Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 02:48:01 -0800
--- Gavin Sharp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The Dell logo that shows up at boot-up is coming
> from the BIOS, not the
> hard drive. To prevent it from appearing just go
> into the BIOS on bootup
> (press Del) and disable the "Silent Boot" setting,
> or whatever the
> appropriate setting is. Unless you flash your BIOS
> the Dell logo will
> always show up one way or another. It's just
> branding, and has nothing
> to do with any conspiracies :-) .
>

> Gavin Sharp
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files
> for download
>                      visit our download web page at:

http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

Hi Gavin

Trust me - I don't think Dell is behind this. While I
do think they're guilty of many things, ;), this just
isn't one of them.

What I'd meant was that with the logo remaining
despite the fdisking/formatting, there obviously IS a
place to load/store applications
which these won't effect. That's all.

I really don't care about getting rid of the DELL logo
on my computer - it doesn't bother me. But in response
to your letter, the "Quiet Boot" in my bios/cmos has
been disabled for a while now, and while the DELL page
@ boot is gone, a smaller version of their logo still
shows on the post page.

Also, I flashed my bios 2 weeks ago, and the Dell logo
remains. Dell provides their own bios updates based on
your Dell model, etc. I've never come across anything
at the Dell site suggesting that you use the bios
update provided by your motherboard manufacturer,
which probably was what you were talking about?
No escape! ;)

Thanks,
Ellen Williamson