From:
DENISE ROCHE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 23:19:45 -0400
I have cleaned my computer when it was infected before. I keep backups, so all I have to backup is whatever isn't on the latest data backup (my data backups are separate from my system backups). If you haven't done this, you have a few choices.

You can back up every file individually (meaning you select each file, not entire folders) and then do a virus scan on the finished backup. This is time consuming and you won't like it. It's what I did. You can also do virus scans on each hard drive individually, then back up the drive after you are certain it is not infected. I would also scan the backup after it is done, just to make sure. Once you are certain that you have uninfected backups, then you can delete the data and proceed.

I always keep data backups on DVDs. Once I have a backup that I know to be error and virus free I make at least 2 copies. This ensures that I can still retrieve my data if one copy gets corrupted. It has saved my data many times.

Denise

P.S. System backups should still be done, of course. They are just not done in the same sets.