From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 13:22:47 -0600
In the Navy, we used a discharging probe that had a resistor network in it
to drain the charge in a somewhat gradual matter.  It had a copper tip and a
was very well insulated, with a large copper clip to connect to ground.  The
idea is to avoid the carbonizing damage of a spark, to provide a safe path
to ground for the potential electrical energy, and to keep you, the
outstanding technician, from becoming a statistic in tomorrow's paper.

Incidentally, whenever we worked on high voltage equipment, we used one
hand.  The other hand was not to be in the equipment, nor to be grounded.
Generally, you saw a lot of techs standing around with a hand in the gear
and one in their pockets.  It looked very casual, but the primary reason was
to make sure that both hands would not complete a potentially high voltage
circuit, allowing the electrical energy to pass through the heart...a
certain show-stopper.  We also used insulating rubber mats.

The voltages I worked on ranged from to 450 to around 18,000, from 50 amps
to around 75.  In a monitor, the voltages can be extraordinarily high, but
the current isn't as great, however, there's sufficient energy in there to
kill you.

The answers that you have listed aren't really the best, I think.  I suppose
that the high voltage meter might discharge the monitor, but that's not its
purpose, at least as far as we were concerned in the Navy.  The other three
are definitely out...the thousands of volts that can be found in the monitor
would ruin them almost instantly.

That's more than you wanted to know about discharging monitors, I suppose,
but I love the opportunity to use a soapbox!

Drew Dunn