From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 18:57:17 -0400
I don't know what memory timings are available through the BIOS settings of
your computer (if any).  Since you set the same timings for all the memory
installed, there's no need to add lower latency memory, if the memory that
you already have installed is not capable of keeping up (though buying lower
latency memory and running it at slower (higher) timings would not be a
problem).

I think of latency timings as wait states that are required for various
memory operations.  Lower timings mean less idle clock cycles, which means
higher memory bandwidth.  However, the performance gains from lower
latencies, while detectable with various benchmarks, are not that dramatic
in actual usage.

Tom's Hardware has an article delving into these issues in more detail,
http://www7.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index.html .

John