From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:59:11 -0400
> I just replaced my old SB16 with a SB AWE64, I feel that my speaker
> couldn't catch up. However, I have no budget to get a good speaker, so
> that I want to use the speaker from old hi-fi system. I want the speaker
> directly plugs into sound card. Has anyone done this kind of thing
> before? What cable do I need (I know I probably need to make cable
> myself)? Is it possible to do so (I'm worry about that sound card
> doesn't have enough power to power up hi-fi speakers).

        I am not sure whether the AWE64 has an onboard amp, but it doesn't matter,
if it does don't use it! :) On board sound card amps have very little power
and will distort rather quickly on any size speaker. Your best solution
would be to get an external amplifier, connect the line out of the sound
card to one of the ins on the amp and the speaker to the amp, this will
produce much better quality sound than computer speakers would. The
connection from sound card to amp will most likely require a stereo 1/8"
plug to two RCA male plugs. The speaker to amp connection will most likely
require bare leads, although it depends on the jacks on your amp and
speaker. Any old amp will be satisfactory, chances are you have one laying
around. If not, most thrift shops have good ones for really cheap prices.
Hope this helped, TTYL

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html