From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:00:15 -0700
Hi Erif,

I don't use Facebook or other social networking sites, but I do know
that most such sites will scale back the resolution or select lower
quality options for compressable image formats (such as jpeg) to save on
server disk space and bandwidth. This will usually result in the image
appearing distorted to some degree. You would have to imagine that
storing literally hundreds of millions of photo in their full quality
and resolution would take enormous amounts of disk space on their
servers not to mention the amount of bandwidth required by their
internet connections to download them to the online users. These are
tradeoffs that have to be made.

Not sure if there are any settings you can change in these sites to use
higher quality photos or not, but something to look for.

I doubt that it is anything wrong with your computer. Have you tried the
same sites/pictures on a different computer?

Russ Poffenberger

On 7/6/2010 8:31 AM, Erif Thunen wrote:
> Some of the photos were uploaded from my computer, some posted by
> others.  All the photos that appear on Facebook are at least a little
> fuzzy, some badly pixilated.
> When I view photos on Flickr, they appear somewhat pixilated, as well,
> though not as badly as the Facebook photos.
>
> However, the photos that I have on my computer that are not on line
> are perfectly clear, even the same ones that are fuzzy on Facebook.
>
> I hope that answers your question.  I can't imagine what's going on
> here.  I would be very grateful for any ideas or advice.
>
> Thank you,
> Erif.
>

> On 7/5/2010 7:46 PM, David Gillett wrote:
>> Are the photos that look "fuzzy" ones that you have posted, or ones that
>> other people have posted?  Are they posted directly to Facebook, or to
>> some other host (Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and then linked to from
>> Facebook?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>