From:
Michael Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:59:54 EDT
Hi Grant!

    Oh the stories I could tell you about DX4ODPR100s...

    These babies were made with one thing in mind, "Intel getting into
your pocket!".

    The 5.0v to 3.3v voltage regulators on these had and inherent problem.
As the processor and voltage regulator heated up, the regulators voltage
went up too, making even more heat! And the older they got, the worst they
became... And I'd find it easy to bet that you picked yours up "used".

    In a notebook with its limited "air" space you add even more to the
problem. The more fresh air it can get, the better it runs.

    For Intels test program for this processor, you can go to:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/overdrive/intel486/dx4.htm

    Max

Grant Hightower <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    I have a AT&T Globalyst 360TPC with 40MB memory, 56k modem. It came
with an Intel 486DX2 66 MHz chip in a Socket 3. I installed an Intel
DX4ODPR100 Overdrive chip, ran the diagnostic test disk, with everything
checking out OK.
    The problem is my computer boots up and runs normally for a period of
time anywhere between 3-30 minutes then will suddenly lock up. The only
way to get everything to work again is to reboot. I checked to make sure
the chip was fully inserted and according to my manual the only jumper I
had to change was JP36 to pins 1-2. I know this is an old computer, but if
anyone can offer any solution to this problem, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Grant Hightower

                     visit our download web page at: