Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:03:41 -0700
Susan Hays wrote:
> In other words, if I don't get the above material to
> put inside the pc, then damage could occur.  I am also understanding that
> even with the above material, there is a possibility that damage will still
> occur.  If so, not good news........
>
> Thank you,
> Susan Hays

Susan, everything is relative, and that includes deterioration of
metallic articles by oxidation, degradation of electrolytic capacitors
from depolarization, mold and fungus growing on surfaces, . . ., et
cetera.  Even while your computer is sitting next to your desk, it is
deteriorating.

It is better to be optimistic than pessimistic in these matters.  The
computer will be in storage for three months, as you said.  If there is
a change of heart and it stays in there for a year, the situation is
agrivated, yes? By how much? Well, what are the variables: temperature,
humidity, sealed boxes (note that even plastic breathes [it is not a
solid barrier to moisture]). Is there a formula for determining how much
damage will occur? In simple words, NO.

The advice was given to provide you with methods to BEST protect a
stored computer.  If you don't do that, will you retrieve a box of rust
after three months?  Most likely not.  Will the 'damage' forever prevent
the computer from working? Probably not, at least not immediately.  And
think about this.  If you have a home without air conditioning, and you
have a computer in it, doesn't everyday Louisianna humidity have an
effect on it? (I used to live on the Gulf Coast and I thought the salt
air was more damaging than just humidity!!!)

While a few plastic bags and some dessicant (hardware stores or Mial Box
Etc) are helpful to deter any deterioration (please note I do not use
the word damage) caused by an enclosed environment in a storage
facility, your computer will 'always' deteriorate from the day it was
built.  So you shouldn't think of it as 'not good news', just some good
advice.  And don't think of it as damage. Damage is severe -
deterioration is a natural process that over time can cause damage.  The
only thing everyone recommended was a method to limit the environment
that can cause deterioration.

Good luck.
--
Jean Bourvic :>))