From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:29:48 -0800
On 14 Apr 99, at 12:26, Joan Rapier wrote:

> Can I set a scanner or digital camera, etc. setp up to be shared on a
> network?  IOW, can I share resources other than drives and printers?  If
> yes, is the yes dependent upon the software that is shipped w/ the
> device, the device itself, or is it OS-dependent?
>
> Thanx in advance for your help.

  I wouldn't think so.  Through systems like CUSeeMe, a server could
make a real-time feed from a camera available to client machines, but
that's not the same as providing clients with access to the device
itself.

  There was recently a thread [it comes up periodically] about whether
FAT32 drives are accessible over the net from machines that don't speak
FAT32.  The answer was yes, because the sharing is done at the file
system (files and directories) level and NOT at the device (physical
drive) level.
  Similarly, there's no physical device-level sharing of scanners or
cameras; unfortunately, these don't provide stuff at the file level
directly.  You need an application running on the machine that the
device is attached to, in order to "capture" the input and put it in a
file.

David G