From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 16:59:27 -0400
> I wish to know, what would be the differences between Pentium II
> 350MHz, and the Pentium 300, and 400MHz on a motherboard base on
> the 440BX.

    The only difference from a user point of view between the 300 and the
others is the 300 runs at a 66MHz FSB while the others use 100MHz FSBs.

> If I understand correctly the motherboard's clock is 100MHz, so while on
> the 300/400MHz CPU the clocks of the mobo and the CPU coincide at
> a frequency of 100MHz, with a 350MHz CPU, they will coincide only
> once per two mobo clocks, i.e. at a frequency of 50MHz.
 > Am I correct?

    No, the situation is much more complex, and since memory and everything
else outside of the CPU is so pathetically slow compared to the CPU this is
of no concern. What you are talking about are synchronous design cases,
practically all items in a PC are asynchronous to the CPU, about the only
thing approaching synchronous operation is the onboard cache.

> Does it mean that 350MHz might be for some application slower or even
> much slower than 300MHz? If yes, then what type of application will
> prefer 300Mhz over 350MHz, and how important is the jump from
> 350MHz to 400MHz?

    No, a 350MHz is faster in practically all situations than the 300MHz,
one because it uses a higher internal clock speed and two because the bus
speed is on the 300MHz is 66 while it is 100 on the 350 and 400. The
difference in speed between the 350MHz and 400MHz isn't that significant,
and probably isn't worth it if you are on a buget. TTYL

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]