From:
Mike McNeil Computer Troubleshooters Queenstown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:23:46 +1200
Hi Lisa,

The following site has good information on enabling cryptographic services
http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html The following extract
worked for me with a similar problem, but I recommend visiting the site to
see if they have a remedy for your specific problem first.

Click Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
In the small box that Opens, type the three letters:  cmd  then click the OK
button.
In the command prompt window that just opened (a black background and white
text), type the following commands, pressing the ENTER key on your keyboard
after each line:
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc

Now type exit to close the command prompt window, and then try to install
Windows XP Service Pack 1 again. It should now work... You may in some rare
instances have to reboot your machine again first, so give this a try if it
fails again...

Regards
Mike McNeil