From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 06:56:22 -0700
Hi Joseph,

Is this the card you are looking at
http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9600-xt.asp ? If so, then it says it is
4x/8x AGP compatible. So if your computer has a 4x AGP slot, it should be fine.

In order to make the exchange, I suggest that before shutting it down just
prior to swapping the video card, that you uninstall any video card
specific drivers, and install the Microsoft generic VGA video driver. This
will make sure the transition to the new card is smooth.

On the memory, the HP website says it takes PC2100 266Mhz ECC DDR RAM. Max
capacity is 2GB (2x 1GB DIMM). If you get another of the same type, it
should work. Doesn't look like this is dual channel, so it shouldn't be too
picky about pairing them up.

On the sound card, you should be able to put a PCI card in, you may need to
enter the CMOS setup and disable the onboard sound chip first. Before
buying the sound card, make sure you can disable the onboard one in the
CMOS setup.

Russ Poffenberger

At 11:33 AM 5/9/2005, you wrote:
>I need to upgrade my video card for gaming. I presently have an HP xw4000
>workstation with 845E MB. It has a 4XAGP video card. I am looking at a
>Sapphire Radeon 9600XT card and it has 8XAGP. Will it fit in the present
>slot? Is 4X AGP somehow compatible with 8X AGP? Are there other problems I
>will encounter in this exchange?
>Also, I have two memory slots, one has a 512 chip and the other is empty.
>I am assuming I can put another 512 in the empty slot if it's the same
>type. Is that correct? My current sound card is built into the MB. If I
>buy a PCI sound card, how can I be sure the old sound capability is
>terminated and the new one is accepted? You can see I know little about
>computers, so I appreciate any help anyone might offer on any of these
>questions. Thanks.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>