From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 13:50:10 -0400
Sounds like a dead battery.  All of your CMOS settings would be
reverting to the factory default with every power down, because the
chip has no current to keep its memory settings.
The next thing to check is if the drive is a master but the jumper
on the drive is set to slave.  What frequently happens in this instance
is that the drive takes a long time identifying itself to the system, and
the BIOS gets tired of waiting and hangs.  I have seen mis-jumpered
drives boot fine everytime on one BIOS version, with only a modestly
prolonged wait between the memory test and the disk identifier message,
and other bios messages, like "cdrom detected".  Other BIOS only boot
successfully on the second, third or fourth try.
Tom Turak