From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:36:12 -0800
On 27 Dec 98 at 18:37, Michael Gerke wrote:

> I've been told that in order to use the -2 3D Now chip, I will need to
> run a 100 MHZ bus and also purchase PC100 DIMM chips. Is this correct?

  It depends.  WHile I would probably recommend this, it's probably
not necessary for the K6-2/266.

> Will the conventional 300Mhz processor work with standard SIMM's? And if
> so, how much of a bottleneck would the slower bus & memory speeds
> produce.
>
> How noticeable would the performance difference be between the
> 100Mhz bus and the slower, older bus boards......

  This means running the CPU at 4.5x66 rather than 3x100.  Components
besides the CPU would be running at 2/3 of their potential speed, so
that gives a limit to the speed penalty.  The higher CPU multiplier
offers the cahnce to get some of that back, so depending on
application mix you could see performance in the 75-85% range.
[Which you might not notice -- you WILL notice the difference between
a DX4-100 and this, though!]

> I am not a power user by any means, just average programs, email ,
> AOL (for the kids) and I also run OS/2 warp and LINUX along with
> Win95.

  In my case, I got a Super7 motherboard first (FIC VA-503+, to run
with my existing CPU/RAM/video), PC100 RAM, AGP video, and, when all
else was ready, a K6-2/300 -- at that point, I switched the FSB over
from 66 MHz to 100 MHz.  [Your situation is a little different, in
that you do not already have a CPU that will fit in Socket7.]

David G

David G