From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:59:23 -0700
At 03:14 PM 6/26/2012, you wrote:
>OK, I am looking at a DSL installation in a home that has not had
>wired phone service for a number of years. It would appear that
>wires from the old, small, traditional AT & T phone connection box
>on the back of the house were cut in favor of a larger AT & T box
>that has a large cable coming out of it, with a long length inside
>the home which terminates with a connector similar to an old time
>printer connector.

This is the sort of cabling they use ( use to) for an office system.
Multiple lines with hold, and auto switching. Only a business would
want something like this. You just need a standard phone jack plugged
into  a DSL modem. Once that is enabled you plug the modem into your
router, and away you go. It is just like a cable setup except you
have a phone line instead of a coaxial cable.

You probably want to disable the  "larger AT & T box that has a large
cable coming out of it" in favor or the original two wire "small,
traditional AT & T phone connection box". Have AT&T turn on a single
user line It is easy to do, but they are probably going to want to
come out and do it themselves.

Mark Rode

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>