From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:48:13 -0500
I ran into an odd problem with my 3.5" floppy drive.  When I removed the
floppy from my old case, I blew quite a bit of lint out of it with some
compressed air without removing the cover.  When I first put it in my
new case, because of the way the available bays are arranged, the hard
drive was directly under the floppy drive.  This is because the only
other available bay was directly above the bottom of the cage, leaving
little room for air to circulate under the drive - although there are
holes in the bottom of the cage to let air in.  After the system was
running for a while, my wife tried to save a file to a diskette and got
a disk write error.  I ran a diagnostic on the disk and found that it
would not read any sector from track 0 on side 1 on any diskette but
everything else seemed OK.  I removed the drive, took off the cover and
cleaned it out a little better then tested it while it was sitting
outside the case and everything was fine.  I put it back in and the
problem returned.  Thinking it might be a heat problem from the hard
drive being so close, I moved the hard drive down in the cage and it
seems to be fine now.  Has anyone else seen any problem like this
before?

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html