From:
Duncan Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 07:40:15 -1000
It may or may not be PM causing your probs.  PM v4.0 has probs
(including a "251" error--that's the last thing PM shows on a small gray
screen dialog box bef it stops operating--which causes closed successive
loop WIN reboots) which are allegedly patched by the update.  The PQ
website (http://www.powerquest.com/updates/index.html) provides no info
re:  probs & no FAQs that I've found, just a 1 line exp for the
update--'guess they couldn't fit it in among all of the
self-congratulatory stuff.  Their Tech Spt (801-226-6835) has been
responsive and helpful, tho.  Defnitely get the update for PM and the
rescue disk (you'll have to make new 1s).  PM 4.0 w/o the update can
definitely (personal exp) cause actual and apparent (corrupt
FATs/partition info) data loss, so DEFINITELY BACKUP ALL DATA BEF
USING--and BACKUP ONTO MEDIA THAT ARE ALL IN THE SAME COMP!!!  (I had
backed up everything onto a 2nd HD on the same comp and the "251 error"
affected the data on both drives, even tho' I was only working on 1
drive at the time.)   Also, make and apply 1 change at a time using PM
(it takes longer, but its safer), and beware of DriveMapper--it works
auto (unfortunately), but it's either not smart enough or too smart and
too all inclusive in the chages it makes--it was apparently the cause of
my "251 error" apparent (so far) data loss from which I'm still
recovering (I hope).  BTW, Tech Spt has acknowledged that the "251
error" is not one of the more common probs w/PM 4.0.

Changhsu P. Liu wrote:

> I bought a IBM zx 9.1GB SCSI drive and formated it with PartionMagic 4. It
> went thru OK (create one 8.6GB partition), and then I reboot the machine.
> It went thru all the process (e.g., checking memory, video, checking SCSI,
> ..., showing Windows logo screen..) but gave me a black screen with the
> message below before reaching desktop.
>
> While initializing device IOS:
> Windows protection error: You need to restart your computer
>
> I restarted with Safe Mode, it still gives the same message.
> I unplugged the SCSI HD, same message.
> I reinstalled Win98 on top of the old Win98, same message.
> I installed Win95 to another partition and it booted to Win95 Ok (I use
> System Commander to switch systems) but somehow I cannot make it to
> recognize my SCSI card.
>
> I suspect the system is corrupt maybe due to PartitionMagic. My colleage
> suggested me to delete all files in C:\Win98\System\IOSubsys and reinstall
> Windows 98. I will try that tonight. I'd like to hear your opinion so I
> have more options to try tonight.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html