From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:44:30 -0700
I agree with Joseph that the Cirque 'Cats are wonderments, and for most uses
I believe they top the traditional mouse.  However, it deserves a word of
caution.  Anytime you need quick and/or very accurate mouse cursor
placement, like action games or drawings, the old mouse is still more
dependable.

Also, not all touchpads are equal - I have a Kensington Web Racer that
doesn't respond well to a tap (used as a left/right mouse click), where my
Cirque PowerCat takes only a slight tap and doesn't make my index finger
hurt after an hour's usage.

I've also had a lot of fun playing with a tablet and pen, which also doesn't
have all the moving parts of a mouse.  It takes some getting used to, since
the cursor reappears wherever you bring the pen back to the grid on the
tablet after lifting it.  For adding writing graphics to a document, it is
much easier than Cirque's solution.  Entry level is around $100 in the US -
check out some Wacom options at http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/index.cfm.

Good luck,
Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ

> You might consider replacing your mouse with a new touchpad. I've been
using Cirque Glidepoint touchpads for the last 4 years.  Everything is done
with a fingertip, no hand or wrist motion, and no moving parts in the
device.  I have 3 touchpads for my 3 computers.  Fellowes now makes Cirque
Cruisecat touchpads.  The Cirques list for $69.95, and I found the Fellowes,
which is identical, at www.buycomp.com for $27.90.  It comes with a 3-year
warranty, but since there are no moving  parts, it would be hard to break
one.  My first one still works  perfectly.  Find out about them at
www.fellowes.com or www.cirque.com.  I wouldn't switch back to a mouse for
anything.