From:
"David A. Witt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:45:36 -0400
Hello Everyone,

 1st of all I want to thank everyone that responded when I asked for help concerning getting the program to disable the P-III serial # ID a few weeks ago. I finally did get my 500MHz P-III CPU but only after a backorder and the return of Cyrix clone. Have to stay on top of things. I was also off line for a week or so due to some problems with switching from ISDN to DSL line and getting a temp line just to use the phone. Trials and Tribulations of getting onto the Internet. Still waiting for DSL connection. Supposed to be next week. USWEST takes awhile.

 What the deal is. Before I asked for help, I had gone to the Intel site and downloaded the ID program provided at the site. Well all the program did was tell me that I didn’t have a P-III. LOL I knew that. What I did find out, was that to get the utilities for the P-III, you need to have a P-III system before you can even get anywhere, and you need to start at Intel and join the WebOutfitters Service. From there, you can get all the tools necessary for the P-III processor including the tool to disable and enable the P-III CPU ID number at will. And a few other tools as well. The WebOutfitters Service will scan your system for the P-III processor. Not a big deal. Once you get “Outfitted” and joined up, from there all the necessary items needed are there to download. I was trying to gear up before I had the P-III processor. I did change chassis from Mid-Tower ATX to Full ATX tower and added 3 chassis fans. And I also added more SDRAM from 128 MB to 384 MB. I also installed a heavy duty CPU cooling fan and heatsink. The P-II cooling fan doesn’t cut the cake. The only problem I have though is I can’t flash my BIOS so it reads the letters P-III. I keep getting “Insufficient Memory”. Which doesn’t make sense. I tried every way possible to do this. And yes, I have the right “Flash” for the BIOS from DFI for my BX board. Memory I do have. I’ve read all the “Read Me” files and the "FYI" files. I’ve tried every trick I know. Tried from Floppy, MSDOS, Command prompt, every which way but loose. So, if all I have to do is see P-II instead of P-III 500 at start up, then I can live with it. But if anyone has any tricks up their sleeves on the Flash, I sure would like to hear them. Thankyou all again (some what belated) who took the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

Dave Witt

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html