From:
lswpubrw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2011 10:47:51 -0400
Peter,
I've gone through the list and made all the recommended changes or found
them set as you suggest with no fix.  I have a laptop of my own and tried
that.  Using ipconfig, I can see my laptop returns an IP address for both
the NIC and the WiFi  which are consistent with my desktop IP address,
192.168.1.142 or similar.

The malfunctioning laptop shows a similar address for the WiFi, but a
169.###.###.### address presumably because it can't get an address from the
DHCP.   I'm thinking the problem is hardware in the NIC at this point.  If
so I'll have to set her up with the wireless connection.

Bob