From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 13:59:14 -0600
At 09:31 AM 5/16/98 -0700, you wrote:
>What is happening is that when I boot the FD light stays on all the time and
>I get a FD failure message (40)

This usually means that the flat cable connector between the motherboard or
I/O card and the floppy is connected backwards.  Look at the edges of the
flat cable.  Only one edge should be marked with a stripe or some other
marking all along one edge.  This edge of the cable must be connected to
the "pin 1" side of the floppy drive connector and of the motherboard or
I/O card connector.  Try to find a painted on "1" next to the two
connectors to determine which side of the cable should be connected where.
Also, your floppy which is going to be drive A must be connected to the end
connector and the other end must be connected to the motherboard or I/O
card.  The connector in the middle, if you have one, is for the B drive.