From:
Douglas E Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:06:25 -0400
I finally got back to my project (a busy winter!) and found indeed
that the CPU had survived the loose heat sink.  I had purchased a
Gigabyte Motherboard and it gave the same symptoms (I now have an
extra EVGA motherboard!).

The problem turned out to be a bad power supply which I had just
purchased.  Apparently it was bad out of the box.  I found this out
by buying a super cheap PS and connecting it.  It performed like I
had expected and now I've got my PC back to where it was before the
MB replacement.  I'll take up the issue with the bad power supply
with the manufacturer since it was a rather expensive one that I had
trusted to be good.  It has a 3 year warrantee.

BTW, this was the easiest restoring of the OS (Windows XP) with a MB
change out that I've ever done.  I reinstalled XP with the repair
option and on the final reboot, all my programs were still there, and
it was as if I had just souped up my old PC.  Of course it was
complaining about needing reactivation but no problem there.

Thanks (belatedly) for the assurance that I'd not burned out anything
with the loose CPU heat sink.

Doug

At 8/24/2009 08:49 AM, Rick wrote:

>I have a friend that did that 775 "oops" a corner is loose thing.
>He called me and the MB was screaming over the phone.
>(A heat warning.)
>
>Intel CPUs are very good at protecting themselves, and
>IIRC, the MB was EVGA.
>I got it working "as is", with no problems.
>
>As far as the MB?, see the customer reviews here:
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188023
>
>Rick Glazier
>
>From: "Doug Simmons"
>I'm replacing my motherboard and processor. I have the Intel Pentium
>E2200 dual core processor and a EVGA e-7050/610i Motherboard - Socket 775.
>
>When I first turned on the power supply switch after replacing and
>with only memory connected (no drives or other add-on's), the PC
>reacted as expected, waited for me to press the power button.  When
>I did that, I didn't get my usual POST screens so I shut it off by
>pressing the power button for 5 seconds and it shut down.  I did
>some checking of jumpers, connectors and turned power on and off
>using the power button.  I left the project for a few days and when
>I started checking again, I found that the heat sink fan was loose
>on one corner and so fixed that.
>
>Now with nothing connected except memory, when I turn on the power
>using the power supply switch (not the power button) the fans all
>turn on and the PC acts as if it is powered up.  The power button
>now has no effect.
>
>I'm asking for for your guesses as to whether the the CPU is bad or
>the motherboard?  I'll probably end up buying both but I'd like to
>try one or the other first.  The question is whether I should try a
>new CPU or Motherboard first.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>