Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 04:34:21 +0100
Thanx for that, seems I'm thinking along the right lines then, as I had
asked that question about the ram being used for that reason.(I have onboard
sound and graphics).
Ok , I feel alot better now then, knowing that at least it's being put to
good use.
I will sooner or later (probably later, rather than sooner) put another
stick of 128mb ram in there just to give it a bit more oomph, but, as it's
now in my girls room (they got too impatient), and not connected to the net
at present, it doesn't seem that important just yet. It's now running
relatively well, has been for the last few days, but it did pretty well when
connected to the internet with only 63mb of ram available, I think.
I don't know about the m/b not liking double sided ram chips,and  I don't
know if you recall or not, but I didn't have much of a choice with this
particular board. This was the one which had no display when I installed the
recommended ram. I used the present ram owing to a suggestion from someone
on this site, and it gave me a display, although the problems didn't stop
there, as I had to then do the bios flash.
In fact, this m/b has been nothing but problems from the word go, but you
live and learn, don't you?
Out of this, I've learnt to stay away from fujitsu-siemens boards, as their
'experts' seem to have given me the wrong advice every step of the way.
I don't think I've ever had this much trouble with a m/b so far, but I've
learnt alot from  it, so it's been an experience, if nothing else.
Thanx for your reply.
Michele Sayer

Michele, if your mobo has onboard graphics, the ram will be shared and
consequently less ram may be reported on bootup.

However, a cut of 60-odd mb's is substantial - perhaps there's another
reason, like the mobo not liking double-sided ram chips?

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Michele" Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Bios Flash Update D1170A m/b

> I can't believe this, I did it!...........and I can't understand why all
the
> websites were making such a fuss about a Phoenix bios! I found it really
> straight forward, and it only took a couple of seconds.
> I was quite nervous to start with though, because on the Fujitsu-siemens
> site, I found two flash update bios's for the D1170, and so I assumed they
> were both intended to go on the one floppy.(Both were different sizes when
> checked properties)
> Everytime I tried to load one on, it over-wrote the initial one, and vice
> versa, and when I tried to drag and drop the second one to the A drive,
> there wasn't enough room.
> In the end, after a lot of swearing, I took the chance, just loaded the
> biggest file to the floppy, and went for it. (printing out the
instructions
> I found, not realising they wouldn't even coincide with what actually
> happened on screen)
> If I remember rightly, the only thing I had to do was press 'y' twice,
then
> enter. I think that was about it.
> Then the system restarted, and the error message is gone.
> I'm using it now, and it seems fine, although I still only have 63mb ram
> according to windows.(makes sense about the 1mb being used)
> I do have a 128mb stick of ram installed, could half of the ram have
failed
> or something? I don't know if that's possible, or would it all fail at
once?
> Thank you all so much for all the advice about flashing the bios, I feel
so
> stupid now, it was so easy.
> I've made sure I kept the floppy for the future, as I have 2 of these
> boards. (Haven't attempted to use the second one yet, it's still in the
> packaging, but I've got the flash update ready)
> I've seen the difference in the performance already though.
> Thanx again,

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml