Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 05:15:50 -0800
Guys,
I think you are sweating over nothing. I also have AMD processors on 2 of my
networked computers. 1 800 and 1 900 Duron respectively. Right now my 900
averages about 38 Celsius and my 800 is a tad under 36 Celsius. I have a
heatsink and exhaust fan installed on both and so far so good.
 I thought my temps were high too until I visited www.amd.com and read the
following

(Cut and paste from the AMD DURON FAQ)
"System Operating Temperatures Will Vary"
The operating temperature of a system or processor is highly dependent on
the characteristics of the system as a whole and the combination of
components that make up the system. Consequently, the "normal" operating
temperature will vary from system to system, depending on each system's
make-up. Some of the variables that affect the operating temperature of a
system are: case size, air flow characteristics, installed components,
processor speed, processor heatsink/fan solution, thermal interface
material, power supply, voltage settings, workload, and ambient air
temperature.
Although "normal" operating temperatures are not specified for AMD
processors, there are maximum operating temperature ratings that must not be
exceeded. The maximum operating temperature of a processor may be determined
by the processor's Ordering Part Number (OPN). Refer to the processor's data
sheet for additional information (data sheets may be downloaded from the
Technical Documents page). Typically, the maximum operating temperatures for
Socket A AMD AthlonT and AMD DuronT desktop processors are 90 degrees
Celsius for processors operating up to 1GHz, and 95 degrees Celsius for
processors operating above 1GHz.

Note: The maximum operating temperature specification is based on a
measurement taken directly from the top center of the processor die. The
temperature reported by a system's BIOS may not reflect the true temperature
of the processor if the measurement is taken from an alternative location.
Additionally, the reported temperature will be affected by the accuracy of
the thermal probe, hardware monitor, and analog to digital signal
conversion. As a result, some variance should be allowed when comparing the
maximum operating temperature to the temperature reported by the system's
BIOS."

Hope this helps
Barry Clark
MCSE/CCNA