From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:57:53 -0400
Hello!

On your win95 machine, what type of parallel port are you configured to?
Perhaps the port is too "advanced" to be able to communicate effectively
with the old printer? You can change the settings for the parallel port in
the BIOS.

I hope this helps.

Will Stephenson ><>

Subject: [PCBUILD] laptop to HPDeskjet Win95 problem

I have a TI Extensa laptop from which I want to print to a HPDeskjet 500
printer. I have tried EVERYTHING, including hours of troubleshooting
from HP and MS websites and HP and TI (windows) technical support. I am
at my wit's end.

When I print the printer's internal test, it works.
When I print from DOS to the printer, it works.
When I try to do "Print Test Page" from the printer properties screen in
windows, I get an error that it can't find the printer.

To me this is clearly a windows95 problem and not a
computer/printer/cable problem.

My mom originally had the printer installed on her computer with windows
3.1 (which is about the "era" the printer belongs to as well...).
According to HP, I should be able to hook it up (i.e., it is compatible
with windows 95). Whem mom upgraded from windows 3.1 to win95, it worked
for her.

I have a few ideas in mind:
1. Try to figure out what happened when the driver at mom's went from
3.1 to 95 that doesn't happen when you install directly on win95 and
somehow recreate it. (*maybe* I could find the missing link somewhere on
my mom's computer and copy it)

2. See if someone on this list is genius enough to help me when all the
supposed experts can't.

3. Throw the whole flippin' thing out the window.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

BETH

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html