From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:13:13 -0800
Dave Moore wrote;
>I have acquired several used HDs.
>I installed one in a used Dell Dimension L600r
>I cannot get to recognize a disk drive.

This may be a classic example of the BIOS being older and not detecting the
drive automatically. You have several options depending upon your situation.

Manually input the drive specs into the BIOS or, flash the BIOS with a newer
version. I would begin by checking the BIOS to see what version you have. If
you have something like version A03, I would give some thought to flashing
it to a later version say A14. This is meant to be suggestive only, caution
should always be exercised in this area due to the fact if the flash goes
bad, you may end up with a machine that will not function at all.

Others on the list have given some good advice for you to consider. In
addition to these I would run the FDSIK Utility that should be in the
Windows 9X boot disk. Remove the partition or partitions that may be there
and redo them. It is my understanding that you can scrub a drive clean of
information but if the MBR remains, it is set up for whatever machine it
came from. Or on the other hand they, (The people that sold you the drives)
did in deed wipe out the partitions using FDISK and for the most part, you
have a raw drive. On the chance that there may be something wrong with the
MBR portion of the drive using FDISK is a good idea for routine installation
of a drive.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers