Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 21:37:54 +1000
Hi John,

I have seen a much worse (but similar) system, the system contains not only
double, but believe it or not - at least 5 floopy, over 10 harddisk, 6 video,
.... everything has a 5x or 6x entries when viewing in safe mode (some have
double entries in normal mode, most don't). the system was totally messed up by
these entries, delete them wouldn't solve the problem (as you said, they just
simply came back no matter what you do). The only thing I could do to bring the
system back was to backup and format harddisk. As far as I can tell, you should
do a backup as soon as you can, your system won't last long before you run in
trouble.

The cause of the problem would be "technicaly incorrect" add/change hardware, I
guess.

About your mouse problem: did you try the mouse without adapter?

Jun Qian

John Sproule wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have noticed some problems with my system that are more annoying than
> catastrophic, but I would appreciate any thoughts on what might be causing
> the problems and how to fix them.
>
> I seem to have double entries in Device Manager for floppy controller,
> floppy drive, com ports, printer port, and modem (an external model plugged
> into one of the com ports).  The double entries are only visible in safe
> mode.  Removing both devices of the pair while in safe mode doesn't seem to
> resolve the problem.  The next time I boot up the computer the devices are
> installed, as they should be, but a subsequent boot leads to them being
> installed a second time.  As far as I can tell, the computer runs fine with
> these duplicated installs, but "that's not right".  :-)
>
> The other problem I have developed is my computer doesn't see my ps/2 mouse
> when it boots up cold.  However, if I simply do a windows restart, the warm
> reboot finds the mouse with no problem.  This problem seems to come and go a
> bit, but lately everytime I start up the computer I can count on it
> requiring a restart to find the the mouse.  The mouse I'm using is a Razer
> Boomslang, which includes an adaptor so its USB plug can be used with a ps/2
> socket.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html