From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:57:30 -0400
> I recently purchased a new RELISYS DC3500 Digital Camera and installed
> software with startup disk.  I connected to my Pionex PII233
> computer using
> the 9 pin serial port as directed.  When attempting to run the program,
> I continue to receive a message that the camera is not connected to pc.
> After trying the 2nd 9 pin port without success, I called RELISYS
> tech support
> and was given a test run thru of the program:  same result ZILCH.  RELISYS
> recommended calling Pionex tech support, which I did.  Pionex informed me
> that since camera was not "theirs" they could not assist.  Nice guy did
> give me advice on where the "Start up" info located and suggested
> a setting
> for the serial port.  I found "start up"  went thru the 5
> different settings
> available and I still am getting same message:   "Camera not connected."
>
> Can you give me some directional advise.  I am afraid of
> attempting changes
> in "start uP" when I do not know wwhat I am doing.

     Well I don't have that model, but I have the exact equivalent model
from Mustek (VDC3500- the cameras are equivalent to the software). As for
setting it up it really is a no brainer. Both the twain driver and the
embeded driver in the software that came with my camera autodetects the
camera by default. If the autodetect isn't working here are a few things:

1. Make sure everything is connected and that the camera is actually on. Try
to confirm which port you have it connected to.

2. Is the port enabled? Have you used that port before? If you have an
external modem lying around see if it works on that port. Have you gone into
the BIOS to confrim that port is active. Companies sometimes diable ports
that aren't needed to avoid possible conflicts.

3. If you use a port that shares an IRQ ensure that the other device using
that IRQ is not being used. For example I have mine connected to COM2 and my
modem is on COM4, both using IRQ3. This is not a problem as long as I don't
try to use both, I have to disconnect before I can use the camera and vice
versa. It is possible that you are trying to use a port using an IRQ that
the mouse uses which is obviously used all the time. If you can, try looking
under device manager and see what else is using the same IRQ as the one your
camera is connected to.

4. Finally have you tried the camera on a different computer? It is possible
that the camera or cable is defective. Trying on another computer removes
this possibility from the discussion.

        If you are still lost let me know and I'll try to help you with it. I'd
really need to know which port you wish to connect it to, and your IRQ use
list. TTYL and good luck.

PS. My opinion on this camera is pretty good, as long as you don't plan to
print anything larger than 4 by 6 it is ideal. Don't bother with standard
mode, fine mode looks hundreds of times better even though you only get 8
pictures in fine. All in all a great camera for the price, I got mine for
$105 US new ($160 CDN).

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>