From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:11:36 -0400
> Today, The Esteemed Jack R Payton gathered electrons and wrote:
>
> > > Maybe this group has some ideas/suggestions.
> > >
> > > Other than the obvious "Boat anchor", what use is an IBM-AT, with a
> > > 20 meg
> > > HD?  Not sure of the vintage, it's been out in the garage too
> > > long.  Probably about 4-8 Meg speed.
>
> I had one of those and I installed Linux on it just for fun.  You can do A
> LOT with a 386 and LInux.  Like routing, email, etc.  Also a very good
> learning tool if you want to learn something like vi or how networking
> works etc, etc.

        Actually IIRC the AT uses a 286 processor, no "normal" version of linux
will work with it, they all require at minimum a 386. However, there ARE a
few Linux's out there that are built for 16 bit processors, not too common
though. TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml