From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:36:01 -0800
  USB is designed for connecting several peripheral devices to a computer.
It's not designed for sharing a device between two computers, and it's not
really designed for connecting two computers to each other.  And while I'm
not certain of its distance limits off the top of my head, I suspect 5m is
really stetching it.

  Networking PCs generally means Ethernet.  You'd at least want a NIC
(Network Interface Card) in each PC.  It's possible to use this just to
connect the PCs (with a "cross-over" Ethernet cable), and use ICS (Internet
Connection SHaring, a feature of Windows since 98) so the one with the
broadband modem attached can provide Internet connectivity to the one
without.
  But this means that the second PC can only access the Internet when the
first PC is running and connected.  A better option is to use a "broadband
modem" that offers an Ethernet connection, and use a router (so your network
appears, to your provider, to be a single machine) and a small switch or hub
(some router models include this built-in) to connect each machine.
  (You haven't told us what kind of broadband modem you have, so I don't
know if your existing equipment can do this.)

David Gillett

On 18 Mar 2003, at 3:45, Michele wrote:

> Hi, can anyone advise me with my problem please?
> I have 2 pc's, both of which I have previously used to access the net
> independently, connected to my external usb broadband modem. (Both also
> have a 56k modem installed also.)
> I would like to enable them both to have internet access through my one
> connection, but I am not sure how to go about this, as I have never
> attempted this before.
> I have been told that I can connect both my computers together via usb
> connections, and go about it that way,ommitting the need for any other
> cables or hardware devices,  but I need to know for sure if that's
> possible, as I cannot afford to waste money on needless cables. I do need
> to do this the cheapest possible way, as money is the main factor here.
> Someone else also suggested that I can connect the two via 56k modem, but
> I'm really stuck with that one, as I thought you had to have a number to
> dial. If it were possible, however, I do possess a cable to enable that
> particular connection, although I have no clue how I would configure it
> all.
> Both computers do have spare usb ports.
> Also, if it's possible:
> 1. What is the name of the usb cable I need to buy?
> 2. The computers are approx 5m apart, would that make a difference?(There
> is no way they can be moved closer together.)
> 3. How do I configure it all once I've connected them?(I'm running win98
> on both)
> If replying, please remember I am a complete beginner in the networking
> field, although I'm sure if pointed in the right direction, I would be
> able to manage.
> Thanx in advance.
> Michele Sayer

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: