From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:36:05 -0400
This happens with my ThinkPad frequently.  Find the NumLock key (on the
ThinkPad it is the SHIFT--ScrLk key) and press it.  He has the Numerical
Key Pad activated.  If you look closely at the keyboard some of the keys
(7,8,9,0,j,k,l,....) have small [sometimes different colored] numbers along
with the other key designations that are on the keypad at right side of a
full sized keyboard.

Laptops, when toggled into this mode, can use these keyboard keys like the
full-sized keyboard keypad. I've never seen anyone really use it, but it
seems to be on most laptops.

Doug

At 7/12/2003 10:11 PM, Emie wrote:

>Problem:  Someone borrowed my friend's Laptop and obviously activated a
>combination of keys that showed numbers, instead of letters appear on the
>screen using the keyboard.  In his desperation he's tried all the key
>combinations hoping he could have the keyboard back to normal but w/o
>success.  Can someone give me an idea on how to switch his keyboard back to
>normal?  Said he tried reaching his vendor several times without success and
>is "tired of leaving messages on their machine."
>
>Not sure if this is enough info but will make a follow up post if needed:
>2003 Compaq Presario 1700 XP Home, 256MB mem, 30 gig HD, USB

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>