From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 23:28:48 -0600
Hershel Saylor wrote:

> For the past seven months, my system has deleted files and icon on a regular
> monthly cycle.  Two virus programs say "No Virus".  Can not find cause.
>
> So, how can I do a disk image and save that to a tape so I can restore my
> system.

> I would like to be able to boot up from a floppy and do a system restore
> (like the
> good old day!).  I have a Pertec (? I think) tape backup.  It will only work

> conflicts if I should try to do a drive image restore.
>
> Suggestions and thoughts welcome!

I don't know first hand if a program like Ghost will do a save to tape
but that seems to be your best option short of buying/borrowing
additional hardware such as a Jaz or external HD, etc.

Forgive my confusion, but why would you want to do a full image restore
of a system that is causing your problems?  What will you accomplish, if
the problem is in fact software related, to put back ALL the same
software just as it was before you started?  From what you say, it seems
that the most prudent strategy would be to back up all of your data and
confguration files and then wipe the drive, reinstall the OS, reinstall
the software with the configuration information, and then put back the
data.

--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639