From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 08:10:10 -0400
Russell,

We don't know what mix of equipment you have in your box, so we can't
give you any kind of difinitive answer on your ambient temperature question.
What you should be more concerned with is the temperature of the CPU itself.

The "whine" that you hear is most likely an alarm built into the
motherboard & BIOS.  And it is probably set too low.

AMD specifications for my K6-III/450 state the max temperature is 65 C.
I would assume that your 550Mhz model is not much different.

Go into your BIOS and select the ADVANCED options.  You should find
at least three different temperature readings.  One is for the case
(ambient)
temperature, one is for the CPU temperature, and the third is the alarm
threshold for the CPU temperature.  You can increase the alarm to a
higher settings.

I would suggest you run the PC with all covers installed for about 15-20
minutes and then set the CPU alarm for 3-5 degrees above the "current" CPU
temp.

Jim Meagher